“If you build it, he will come”
Field Of Dreams
“IT” doesn’t work that way!
So now you have a website? Does anyone even know you exist?
Everyone has suddenly jumped on the SEO/eMarketing bandwagon and out of nowhere “experts” are saying you “must do this or that” to get your website noticed. The only thing they haven’t thrown at you is the kitchen sink!
Hey! Did you hear the one about…..?
“We will submit to a Gazillion Search Engines and Directories for $59.95!”
“We guarantee Page 1 rankings in Google!”
“We guarantee thousands of Visitors every Month!”
“Just spend thousand$ with us, plus a $500 monthly fee and we will make you rich!”
“IT” doesn’t work that way!
One of the keys of ranking well in any particular search engine is knowing exactly what the public and prospective client is looking for and making sure your web pages are designed properly. This is called “optimization” and unfortunately the vast majority of web sites on the Internet are not properly optimized for keywords or phrases related to their subject matter. A professional SEO/ eMarketing company will ensure that your site is optimized properly and not just for search terms that are the most popular, but also the most relevant to your business.
You need a “fair and balanced” approach
What does work?
What does work is a balanced and sustainable approach to SEO/eMarketing. I have heard from many that their marketing gurus, network administrators, copy writers and even their gardener’s have great SEO/eMarketing advice, and a surefire way to create instant success.
Expert advice in this field is about as common as ants at a picnic. The industry is evolving at a furious pace and just like the liquid web, it is changing dramatically. One must always be open to new ideas but with a well informed grasp of sound principals. What worked yesterday might not work today and what works now might be obsolete tomorrow. Some pre-conceived notions by those “experts” might have been untrue to begin with, or shortly become as extinct as the Dodo bird. With the bombardment of all the information and advice about SEO/eMarketing, do yourself a big favour and take a step back and look at the basics.
SEO/eMarketing Companies 101
The 3 R’s of SEO/eMarketing
1. Research: What are your goals and what is SEO and eMarketing all about? Research the advice you get and don’t let yourself be sold a bill of goods that is unnecessary to achieve the results you wish. You don’t always get what you pay for in this industry so educate yourself, become informed and ask questions.
2. Relevance: Are your web pages relevant to the search term you’re trying to rank higher? Is it relevant to optimization or even needing SEO/eMarketing? Without a balanced approach to your needs, any SEO/eMarketing could fail. Find the balance of your budget and the relevance of your needs and demand honesty of implementation from a reputable SEO/eMarketing company.
3. References: Ask for references with any company you are considering hiring for your SEO/eMarketing. Ask for clients who have gone through their program and talk to them. Any company worth their weight in salt will have no problem supplying references of clients or encourage you to contact the clients yourself if a portfolio is provided. Shop around and check out what you need and what is worth paying for?
The reality of SEO/eMarketing
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. ~Albert Einstein
Most consumers are really tired of being inundated with marketing everywhere they look, but are still receptive to the kind of “just-in-time” marketing represented by a high placement in search engine results.
The reality is; if you own a company website, you need to consider implementing website-based SEO/eMarketing. As a business owner or entrepreneur, you have to decide what role the Internet will play in your business marketing model and whether you’ll be implementing a strategic search engine marketing campaign. Regardless of your marketing decision if building a website, site-based SEO/eMarketing plays an important role in the usability and aesthetics of your website.
Search engine optimization, and eMarketing in general, can serve a number of different purposes. It can generate sales and leads, both online and offline. It can convince search engine users to implement the actions you desire such as buying your product or service, signing up for your newsletter, downloading “give-away” documents, registering for a seminar, and so on.
A bonus, yet often overlooked positive effect SEO/eMarketing has on your business, your website/company’s prominent position on the search engine results pages contribute to higher: Industry Exposure, Rankings, Target Market Attraction, and Brand/ Name recognition.
When done correctly, search engine optimization can bring people to your sites that are actually looking for what you are offering. You know they’re looking for it because they typed in a key word or phrase that is directly related to your content.
In a nutshell, here is what your SEO/eMarketing Company could do depending on their package and service offerings:
“Optimization and online marketing in general, isn’t a destination. Rather, it’s a road, one that must be constantly traveled for optimal levels of success”
- Know your online competition
- Research and implement targeted keywords and phrases
- Manually submit your site to search engines and relevant directories.
- Rewrite and revise your content to make it the best it can be and utilizing your keywords and phrases
- Create relevant inbound links and relevant linking partners.
- Make sure you don’t have any items on your site that may “blacklist” your site from the search engines
- Use Meta tags properly, page specific if warranted
- Make sure your site is properly designed using compliant coding for optimal performance
- Keep on top of your site rankings and freshen your content to raise your ratings even more
- Think outside of the box in using many creative and ethical ways to increase qualified traffic
- Keep up-to-date with all the incredibly new ways of on-line marketing including blogs, social media and article submissions.
“I can do this myself!”
Do-it-yourself’ SEO/eMarketing is a risky prospect.
Search engine optimization is not a quick overnight process. It takes research and work and optimizing your site does work and is worth it in the end. There are many benefits to hiring a professional SEO/eMarketing company. A good SEO/eMarketing company knows what search engines are looking for. Each search engine has their own set of rules, algorithms, regulations, etc. that they apply to web sites that become part of their indexing. In an attempt to supply user’s relevant content as they search, there are certain things they look for in web pages.
Work Pro-Actively with your SEO/eMarketing Company but not alone
Don’t expect an overnight bonanza of high rankings and tons of traffic
Working with someone to achieve higher rankings and exposure may take up to several months or longer. The initial part of the project will come in the form of search engine and directory submissions, creating Meta tag keywords, page titles and descriptions, plus they will work with you for keyword-rich content on your sites. Then, over the next few weeks/months, they should help you to track your placement on the search engines and suggest other changes to bump your rankings higher.
Without proper SEO/eMarketing; your website and business can suffer or not reach its full potential. It is a small price to pay for a sustainable business model. It is truly in your best interest to find a company that is well versed in both marketing and web development. The two industries are so intertwined that one can really benefit from having a well rounded approach to your marketing program.
About the Author:
Daniel Simmons is the SEO/eMarketing specialist for eVision Media: a full service Web Development, eMarketing and Graphic Design Company
www.evisionmedia.ca. Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/eVisionMedia